Abundant Greens Savory Tart
High Mowing Seeds shared this recipe with us:
In the spirit of the late summer harvest, here is a simple and elegant recipe to help celebrate the abundance.
Abundant Greens Savory Tart (6 generous slices)
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1½ lbs greens (2-3 bunches; any variety or combo of kale, Swiss chard, or spinach works well here)
- 3 large eggs (or 4 small eggs)
- 1 cup grated cheese (parmesan, pecorino, swiss, cheddar, or whatever cheese you daydreamed about?)
- Optional: a few cloves of minced garlic, a few chopped up scallions or an onion, sautéed in some butter until golden, some thyme or summer savory. Mix these in with your other ingredients.
- This would also be very pretty with some sliced tomatoes artfully arranged on top before baking.
Preheat your oven to 375F.
Make your pie crust and place in a 9-in pie plate. I’m sure you could also make this is a square 8 inch pan, or double the recipe and use a large rectangle baking dish.
Wash your greens and then chop them up, removing any super thick stems. Put the greens in a large pan over medium heat and cover. Cook for a 5-10 minutes until wilted. Remove from the heat, uncover and allow to cool a bit.
In a large bowl, combine the cheese and eggs and optional ingredients. Stir to combine. Add the greens and stir. Pour this mixture into the shell. Bake for 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Or, bring this to a friend’s house and enjoy at room temperature.